Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Do you purge?

Do I what? What kind of question is that?

Let me rephrase my question...do you declutter or get rid of things often or recycle?

I have been clearing out sections of my house for the past year or so. A little bit here and there...some places more noticeable than others.

My latest purging/decluttering was my inbox. There were really so many areas of my email that needed to be simplified!
  • Inbox folder itself - I decided to take action and just like going through papers, decide if it should be saved or deleted. If it could be deleted - that was easy. If I thought it should be saved, then did it require a reply on my part, did I need to make time on my calendar to research, read or take other action, or did I want to file it away for later reference. I went one step further on those emails I thought I wanted to save for later reference...I asked myself "really???". What good will this be later and will I look for it later?
  • Saved folders - for those emails that I saved over the years, did I really need to continue to save them? If not, they got deleted.
  • Subscriptions (this was the biggest win for me!) - when I was an Arbonne consultant, I was pointed to web sites and newsletters of different successful consultants and motivational speakers. I went through a time where I got lots of emails from these different people and organizations. When I decided to change gears and get into life coaching, I unsubscribed to certain network marketing newsletters and then got connected with other coaches. Each coach that I read about or heard about had a little something different to offer. I thought it would be interesting to read their newsletters for a while. Over time, I didn't realize how many I had signed up for! The time it took to receive, read a little bit, think I would read more later, file, print or whatever - usually touching the same email many times - had gotten totally out of control! I was organizing and wasting thought energy more than I was reading and applying tips that I had learned. 
I am very happy that I am down to a few email subscriptions! One on decluttering, one on self development and another one that is a spiritual newsletter. I make sure I read these and then decide if it has something to share, implement, file or am I done with it and delete it.

Because my volume of email is now very productive, the amount of time I spend on the computer has significantly decreased. I have more time for reading a book and writing/journaling :-)

Due to changes where I work, I am doing the same thing with paper files that I have in my office. It is a great feeling to have just the things that I use and not be surrounded by papers, file and other clutter.

I went through the bathroom closets and threw away old make-up (which would be unsanitary to use due to expirations) or lotions that I thought I would like but didn't or shampoos that just don't work for my hair. If the products weren't expired or too old, I would ask a friend if she wanted them. If not, they went in the garbage. Yes I did think of the money I was throwing away but I thought more of the space and energy I was gaining :-)

How about the kitchen closets? Again, I used the same principle of expiration and asking if the item would ever be used. I thought about what I was gaining by clearing items out and gave myself permission to throw away money this time.


Sometimes I would take a Saturday morning and get a lot done. Sometimes, I had 10 minutes and got through one shelf in a closet. There is still more to do but I celebrate what I have done. I continue to be energized about tackling different areas in my house and office because I do what I can when I can. I don't have any 'due date' or have unreasonable goals to do the whole house in one shot.


Having a few places in mind that take clothes or small appliances helps a head of time. This is what I am working on now. I have cleared out some clothes or picture frames, etc but can't throw them away so they are taking up space in the spare bedroom. I can't throw things like that away - there is nothing wrong with them! Luckily, I have two nephews who take clothes that don't fit my son anymore. Every once in a while Big Brothers/Big Sisters calls and will be driving through and will pick up clothes and small items. It's those other things during the in between pickup/delivery that get stuck in a part of my house. I was recently talking to a friend at work who told me about Goodwill! There is one in a town close by that I will be checking out.

This is work-in-progress and so am I as I get better at being more efficient and intentional about what I bring into my inbox, house and life. Go easy on yourself and celebrate what you do...and keep moving forward.