Sunday, June 27, 2010

Too overwhelmed to write - experience before vacation

We all agreed we were going to spend some money on a family vacation...to California! We hadn't been there before and we were all looking forward to it for different reasons.

My husband was going to ride his motorcycle across the southern states and then my son and I would fly out after school got out. Fred had to do his own planning for his solo trip. He was busy looking at maps, talking to other bikers who ride distances and buying cool things for his trip. Zac was finishing up school taking final exams. We all talked about places to see in California and got some great input from other people. So much information!!!

Fred planned to leave on a date that gave him enough time to get to California somewhere around the same time that Zac and I would get there. Flights were booked along with a hotel for the first couple of days.
After that...we were going to go where the road took us...

In past vacations/adventures, I write about things that are going on and how I am feeling. But this time was very different! Work had kicked notches past overdrive and other things were busy too. I felt like all I could do was to get the next thing done. After Fred left, I was acting as a single parent. I have done this before but for very short periods of time - not a week and a half! I have so much respect for those single parents who have to make all the decisions about their kids and be the only parent present. This is a lot of responsiblity! It has made me more aware of how grateful I am (#1) to be in a happy, funtioning marriage and (#2) to have another adult to discuss family life and make decisions together! There were also moments where I enjoyed being alone with Zac. He is such a great kid!

I did get intentional on what was important to get done. I felt like I made good decisions to let "extra" tasks either slip or ask someone else to do them. I had over a week to practice letting things go that weren't priority and keeping focused on things that were important. I was pleasantly surprised at how focused and productive I was! I think the thing that kept me going was that it was temporary and at the end was seeing Fred on our family vacation...

This picture is one I pulled off the Internet...it reminded me of what I was working for...