Tuesday, June 29, 2010

San Jose - first few days

I booked a hotel for a couple of days in San Jose. It seemed pretty cool and was close to the airport. I didn't know when Fred and our paths would cross so this was saved as a buffer to get caught up. Turned out (as you read from yesterday's post) that Fred arrived a few hours before Zac and I did.


The weather in San Jose was something to get used to. It was amazing, sunny but cool. The sun seemed...brighter and clearer. I was trying to imagine it most of the year...enjoyable but it could get boring (did I say that?).


The hotel room was a little small but it provided us a place to stay. Next door was I-Hop so that's where we had breakfast. Zac was very happy! I-Hop does offer some lighter dishes with fruit so that made Fred happy! I got something middle of the road...an omelet with added veggies and a fruit dish on the side.


We spent Thursday afternoon touring the Winchester Mystery House (photo from internet). Amazing tour guide that told about Mrs. Winchester and the house that she added on to year after year after year. Very cool house and story. I knew if my parents were there, my Mother would have taken the garden tour for sure!


Lunch was awesome in Santana Row at The Counter! This place was really cool! It was a neighborhood of restaurants and shops over a few blocks. Of course, because of the amazing weather, most of the restaurants had seating outside. The Counter http://www.thecounterburger.com/menu/ is a place where you custom build your burger! We each got handed clipboards with different sections on them. We chose the size of our burger, what it was made from, cheese, assorted toppings and bread. It's one of those places you would have to go back to many times to try different combinations :-) There is one in West Hartford, CT too!!

The pool at the hotel was way cool...actually it was way warm! Something I didn't expect but totally made sense. The outdoor pool was heated! With the air so cool, it was nice to swim in a pool that was warm! Zac and I enjoyed our swim in the pool.


On Friday, Fred and Zac went to California's Great Adventure. This is an amuzement park in Santa Clara. They left me the car in case I wanted to go somewhere. They took the hotel shuttle to the park. Zac's favorite ride was the Grizzly. This photo is from the internet. I don't think the boys took any pictures at the park. They came back earlier than I expected - I guess this park doesn't have anything on Six Flags back home :-(


I spent my morning/early afternoon alone...vacation-like pace getting ready. I spent a little time by the pool...talking to my sister Gayle...it was lovely! There wasn't anyone around, the sun was shining and it wasn't hot!


Made plans to head to Pacifica for the next couple of days.